Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Proclamation

  I will start with an apology.  Every person whom I have judged, whom I have wronged.  If you read this, I am sorry.  I stumbled across a documentary a couple of years ago by the name of God, Save Me From Your Followers and I have had the urge to watch it again and give my thoughts.  Considering the fact I spent the latter half of the show with tears in my eyes I can tell you it's message is profound and hits home.  Do you want to know why I feared Christ?  Watch this video.

   I have heard nothing but hate from Christians.  I worked with a pastor that wanted to exterminate Muslims.  I have seen the news stories of gay men dragged to death behind cars.  We have ignored slaves, used faith to belittle races, attack religions.  We have Crusaded, killed, raped, maimed and butchered in the name of Christ. I went to a Metallica concert with a zealot who condemned me to hell.  God dammit people, Christ would be appalled!  The man who ate with tax collectors and prostitutes, who took water from a Samaritan... Who died to save us... Do you think he would condone that?  What right do we have to judge?  Who are we to condemn?  Who in the hell do we think we are?  We are supposed to be humble!  To love one another!  Yet we writhe in the filth of liars and cheats.  We have become the voice of something far more evil than we claim to try and save against.

   This Christian is done with it.  I am done with sneering at homeless people.  From entertaining homophobia.  From using the name of Christ as a reason to judge or stand above anyone!  I am humble in the face of God and I am his servant and I can honestly tell you that when I think of people who are sacrificing themselves like Jesus did. I can't think of a single Right Wing fundamentalist!!  How about some names for you, the Dalai Lama, Bono, Nelson Mandela, the list goes on and on, yet I see the right coveting and growing fat off the word of God.  It is disgusting.  God has commanded me to come to his side and I tell you now, "if you are in need, if you are repressed, enslaved, impoverished or otherwise crushed under the yoke of oppression. I will stand by you and for you in the eyes of God."  I don't care who you are, who you marry, who you love, or your God above.  I am here, now and until I die, to make sure justice and the love of God are shown to all men and women equally.

   I write this as a challenge to Christian and secular people alike.  It is time to understand we are the same.  We have the same goals, the same purpose.  The only thing dividing us is the will of those who wish our oppression.  Think about it.  Derisiveness sells, and it sells well.  We are being used as pawns in a game of money and power even though we want the same things.  Faith should be a force to unite mankind and bring love and generosity into the world, not as a reason to wage war and scream at each other on national Television.  We have become what is hated in the eyes of God.  It is time we put aside our differences and grow up.  The world aches with centuries of hate and violence.  Enough is enough, it is time to try and put it back together.  If you have the courage I hope you join me in spreading the love of God.  Do not preach, do not judge, do not criticize.  Accept your neighbor and love him as you would love Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment