Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Death is Still a Death

   So far most of my posts have been from my heart but they weren't of a nature that would ruffle feathers.  I did post earlier that I am going to post things that I am well aware will get me flack.  I've decided to start with abortion.  Once upon a time I strove to be complete neutral in the debate as I felt that it was an issue for women.  However, then I had my first child and quickly came to understand that I could never condone the killing of my own child.  Publicly I still tried to stay out of it but I would voice my opinion if pressed.  As I have grown as a person I have dug my heels in more and more.  Here it is for the record, killing babies is a barbaric crime.  I have a number of liberal friends and I have no interest in destroying their friendships, but whether or not that offends you, there it is.  All four (soon to be) of my girls had strong personalities in the womb that would later be a preview of the amazing people they would become.  It was quickly obvious that a baby becomes a person long before it can even survive outside the womb.  By this fact alone why should we allow abortions to happen?  I suppose there are circumstances that warrant it, but I think those are few and far between.

  WebMD has this to say about the reasons behind abortions:



The most common reasons women consider abortion are: ("Abortion - reasons," 2011)
  1. Birth control
  2. (contraceptive) failure. Over half of all women who have an abortion used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.2
  1. Inability to support or care for a child. 
  1. To end an unwanted pregnancy
  1. To prevent the birth of a child with birth defects or severe medical problems. Such defects are often unknown until routine second-trimester tests are done. 
  1. Pregnancy resulting from rape or incest. 
  1. Physical or mental conditions that endanger the woman's health if the pregnancy is continued.
Lets take these in order, shall we?  First, birth control failure.  I'm not sure if people are failing sex education in this country but the main reason we have sex is to procreate!  Yes, I will admit that I greatly enjoy the act.  I'm human, I'm male and in general I am programmed to crave and hunger for sex.  That being said I have always understood that any woman I have slept with could become pregnant.  It kind of goes with the territory.

Second; you can't afford to support the child.  That is an excuse.  I have seen large, poor families that do just fine.  Kids are expensive so you might have to give up the cell phone and 3.7 million cable channels to pay for it but you can do it.  Killing a baby because you don't want to make the the sacrifices for it makes you nothing more than filth in my book, but it isn't my place to condemn.

Third; Ending an unwanted pregnancy.  The moment you have sex you damned well better be ready to have a kid.  That is what it is for!  If for no other reason abortion should be illegal because it is time for our younger generations to step up and accept responsibility.  Having a child around inconveniencing your life is absolutely no reason to kill a human being.  Period.

Forth; To prevent birth defects or severe medical issues.  This is one that I can put a little support in.  I don't see a lot of reason to bring a life into this world only to make it suffer.  My complaint, however, is that these tests are far from perfect.  Medical science could be killing a perfectly healthy child.

Fifth; Rape and incest.  Let me share a little story for you.  My great grandmother conceived a child at fourteen from a man named Warren Early who later married my other great grandmother after her husband died.  She was most likely raped and to make matters worse her rapist was eventually part of her permanent family.  I'm guessing most of you will read this because of at least a passing connection with me.  If she aborted that child then I wouldn't be here.  My beautiful girls wouldn't be here.  The entire legacy of my grand mother would never have existed.  I personally don't like the thought of that.

Sixth; The baby could kill the mother.  I absolutely agree with this one, especially if neither party would survive.  I seriously doubt that God wants us to abandon modern medicine and let ourselves die needlessly.  If the mother can't survive the pregnancy then I think there is little choice but to terminate the pregnancy.  There are just times that one life has to be sacrificed so that life can go on.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

   In closing I think my stance is pretty clear.  I don't think God has any tolerance for people who kill children, born or not.  Of course, I do not presume to speak for Him nor will I judge any of you who has had an abortion.  Jesus said "Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone" and that certainly isn't me.  I'll leave your choice to be judged by God Himself, but don't look to me for support in the mean time.

References

Abortion - reasons women choose abortion. (2011, February 02). Retrieved from http://women.webmd.com/tc/abortion-reasons-women-choose-abortion

No comments:

Post a Comment