Thursday, May 10, 2012

To Kill an Appetite Feed It Nothing.

   I had a diatribe ready to go on gay marriage since it is the big topic of the moment but it has all kind of evaporated away.  God called on me to fast this morning and so here I am.  Those of you that know me know that I struggle with food more than anything else and lately it has began to take me over.  It probably seems odd but I can get to a point where everything seems second to it.  It is a classic addiction. 

   First of all, I am happy right now.  I feel fulfilled and my faith is first and foremost today.  I am planning on dedicating the day to God and prayer as well as learning and growing in my faith.  Everything else is getting pushed to the side so that I can focus today.  It is a shame that I have to work but with the baby coming that is a hard obligation for me to break.  The good news is that I can still listen to the Bible and sermons on my phone while I go about my daily tasks.  Tonight will be about learning and research.  This is the first time in a long time that I feel like I am not being ruled by my lust for food.  I have given control to God and the weight that has been lifted off of my shoulders is immense.  That sense of helplessness is gone.  I am not a slave today.

   If you have issues in your life perhaps a fast should be a consideration for you.  If doesn't have to be food, either.  Sex, caffeine, TV, shopping, anything that could be a condition that is conditioning you to a way of life makes for a good fast.  Try it, give yourself to the Spirit and see how you feel.

2 comments:

  1. Good word. Fasting is very difficult for me. I like food. I really like sweets. Your determination to seek God and push everything else to the side so you can focus on Him is encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good, really. I finally gave in for dinner but it was an eye opening experience for sure. I think I will be doing it again before long.

      Delete