Monday, May 14, 2012

Those Pesky Read Letters: Introduction

   In the debates I have been reading and watching unfold online lately I have noticed one thing.  People don't like those red letters in their Bible.  Now, maybe you have a version that doesn't have any of those strange red letters so let me tell you what they are.
 
   You see, over 100 years ago a man by the name of Louis Klopsch (who was also the editor for The Christian Herald) who was inspired by the book of Luke 22:20 "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you." (NIV)  The first Bible was published in 1900 and it was a success.  Ever since you will find many Bibles labeled "Red-Letter Edition" or some similar vein of semantics.  

   In this series, which I have no idea how long it will be, we are going to explore those Pesky Red Letters and how they pertain to my life and my learning to follow Christ.  I debated if I wanted to do the four Gospels in parallel or one at a time and I finally decided that each book is of such phenomenal importance that they truly deserve their own place.  Again I want to remind everyone that I am in no way a Rabbi, I am just a simple student exploring God's Holy Word.  Please don't take anything I say as an exhaustive treatise on the subject, instead let it inspire you to open your Bibles and read for yourself.  Read those passages, then take notes.  If you would like to debate on my interpretations then please comment!  I hope this series enlightens both myself and anyone who happens upon this blog.

Next -> Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment